Skip to main content

No Salt Added- Spice Up Your Food Life

Healthy food and meals can loose their excitement.  Especially when you take away the fats, sugar, and salt.  Wait, I am to entice you to eat healthy. Hang with me.  Decades ago salt was left by the way side as a  primary means to flavor food for me.   We are in deep with spices and herbs.  By this I mean I get way too excited when they go on sale and enjoy picking them out.  I am in deep.  I love the choices, options, and various ways to can make different flavor profiles.  I love that my food doesn't taste bland and doesn't cause me to bloat (salt does! bastard).  Even better, this is a friends with benefits relationship.  Most spices reduce inflammation which benefits your digestive system, joints, muscles, heart, and brain.  Brain and body love.  Certain herbs aid in memory and concentration, are rich in vitamins (some even have iron!), boost immune systems, and fight free radicals with antioxidants.  If you are not familiar with free radicals, those are the bullies who pick on your healthy cells which may lead to cancer.   You are constantly surrounded by free radicals. Herbs are a great free radical bully buster.  Food love with benefits.

There are some things you need to know.  Some spices and herbs may not be safe if you have diabetes or high blood pressure.  Most help with that but a few may need to be run by your doctor.  This is noted with that particular spice and herb below.  Please practice spice safety.  Herbs come in two forms: still looks like the plant (fresh) or confetti (dried).  Dried herbs store for longer periods of time and organic in a glass container is recommended.  Dried herbs are in the spice aisle and fresh herbs are in the produce section (in a bunch you bag or in a plastic container).  Spices can be whole or ground.  I haven't picked a side and don't see a reason too.  I am passionate about trying to stick with glass and organic when possible.  Dried spices and herbs are more at home in a dry, cool place.  They don't do well in direct sunlight.  Let them live their vampire existence in a dry cabinet away from heat.

Now the good stuff. I kept this list basic with it's benefits, draw backs, flavor profiles, and what I use them in.  Have at it.

Spices














Herbs
















That's the short list.  These are common in many recipes which gives you a great base for cooking.  As you expand you will find there is so much more love out there. 

Namaste and rekindle the food love


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ghost Child

It’s been so cozy in our glittery wonderland of bubbles and glitzy paper; however, the holiday tilt a whirl has abruptly told us to get the hell off.  The ton of brick of sorrow and fury hit full force today.  It’s not a new or sudden burden, but a reality being acknowledged and denied all the same.  For years, I’ve been told “she’s okay,” “there’s nothing wrong,” “we don’t see anything.” My daughter is the ghost child.   You see the specter but right through her because you don’t see.                 While my daughter is “okay” she’s not “okay.”  This morning’s event has continued months of agonizing, acceptance, determination, reflection, and writing.  In reflection, I keep going back to her preschool years when I literally thought I was going to lose my mind. Literally everyone indicated that there wasn’t anything wrong.  It kept nagging as we stumbled through docto...

Health Foodie Getting Her Hair Back

A few years ago after giving birth to my son, I had some life altering changes.  I had two kids and not just one.  Back issues. A dramatic gall bladder removal.  Less hair.  Did I mention more kids?   The hair changes started before having my son, but it was crazy hair loss after his arrival. He was worth it.  I could take the high road and tell you hair doesn't matter. That I realized my inner beauty counted most (it does, but lets be realistic).  We could be petty and mourn over the loss.  It's vain and there are a lot more things in my life to be grateful for.   Let's do both.  Take the high road and cry about it.  Now that's done.  It's not going down without a fight.  Two years ago I made changes to my diet and noticed stronger hair.  It even started curling again.  Then I dove into holistic hair solutions- from DIY hair products to supplements to "what am I eating?" that works.  I also ...